Medieval Heraldry Archive: Other Asian Cultures
Heraldry from Other Asian Cultures
- Chinese Heraldry
- Academy of Saint Gabriel Report 2346
- This report discussed the use of banners and standards in Han culture. The Chinese apparently did not use anything like European inheritable personal arms, nor anything analogous to Japanese kamon.
- Japanese Heraldry
- A Roll of Japanese Armory, by Solveig Throndardottir.
- A discussion of pre-modern Japanese heraldry, with 11 pages of illustrations.
- Daimyo flags, 15th - 17th century (Japan), by Phil Nelson.
- Daimyo flags were used as war banners in 15th to early 17th-century Japan. These flags tended to be more simple in design than mon, to be an aid in easy identification.
The Medieval Heraldry Archive is published by
The Academy of Saint Gabriel.
© 2000. Copyright on individual articles belongs to their